An Ex-Google Exec Is Founding a Religion Where People Worship an AI God
Anthony Levandowski, the former Google and Uber executive currently at the centre of a bombshell lawsuit filed by Waymo, says he’s serious about starting a religion centred around super-smart artificial intelligence.
In a rare interview with Wired, his first public interview since the Waymo lawsuit, Levandowski shed more light on his new church, “Way of the Future.”
Here are some highlights:
The “Way of the Future” church will have its own gospel called “The Manual,” public worship ceremonies, and probably a physical place of worship.
The idea behind his religion is that one day – “not next week or next year” – sufficiently advanced artificial intelligence will be smarter than humans, and will effectively become a god.
“Part of it being smarter than us means it will decide how it evolves, but at least we can decide how we act around it,” Levandowski told Wired. “I would love for the machine to see us as its beloved elders that it respects and takes care of. We would want this intelligence to say, ‘Humans should still have rights, even though I’m in charge.'”
Levandowski is not the only tech luminary to worry about an super-intelligent AI, which others refer to as “strong AI” or the Singularity, although he prefers the term “Transition.”
Levandowski is currently at the centre of a major lawsuit. His former employer, Google, alleges that he helped Uber steal intellectual property about self-driving car technology.
Levandowski’s startup, Otto, was sold to Uber for US$680 million in 2016.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news
- First to know about new trends and news
- No ads and no sales pitch
- A special pin a month, posted by us, highlighting your own business
- Our iOS app for free
- Weekly social media promotions of your own pins
- Customization on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal
And Nothing To Lose