Scientists Develop “Liquid Wire” That Works Like Both a Fluid And Solid
esearchers are developing a synthetic spider silk to be used in the fields of materials, engineering, and medicine.
Dubbed as “liquid wire,” the thread will mimic the tiny droplets of “watery glue” that coat the spider’s silk, which will act as a spool that reels in the loose thread and keep it from sagging or stretching. It will marry the elasticity of the silk and the surface tension of the sticky droplets. The research team of from Oxford University and the Université Pierre et Marie Curie then reproduced a synthetic thread that uses plastic filaments coated in oil droplets.
According to Dr. Hervé Elettro, lead scientist, the bio-inspired hybrid threads could be manufactured from virtually any components. He said the synthetic threads could be used as microfabrication of complex structures, reversible micro-motors, or self-tensioned stretchable systems.
Enjoy our free content ?
Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal