NTT taps light reflection for superfast encryption
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone has found a way to use laser-light reflection in data encryption, a discovery that could help fight increasingly complex cyberattacks.
Random number sequences consisting of 0 and 1 are essential components of cryptographic systems. They are normally generated from mathematical formulas, but the weakness of this method is that the sequence becomes predictable if an attacker figures out the algorithm being used.
In contrast, methods utilizing irregular physical phenomena can achieve a higher level of unpredictability. NTT has developed a system that can generate random numbers based on the irregular and complex oscillation in the output light of a semiconductor laser whose output light is reflected by a mirror and injected back into the laser.
Generated at speeds of 4 gigabits per second, the random numbers could be supplied to computers and servers to encrypt data. The Japanese telecommunications company hopes to bring the technology to market within a few years.
Thermal noise measurement is among the technologies currently employing phenomenon-based methods. But its processing rate is around 100 megabits per second at best, and thus not suitable for high-speed transmissions of large amounts of data.
Enjoy our free content ?
Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal