The next-generation of rollable touch screen.
Nissha Printing Co. will join hands with Taiwanese rival TPK Holding Co. to develop a next-generation rollable touch screen.
Nissha Printing will acquire this month a 25% stake in the Taiwanese company’s joint venture with U.S. start-up Cambrios Technologies Corp. by purchasing newly issued shares for 6.25 million dollars, or around 610 million yen. After Nissha’s investment, TPK will hold a 65% interest and Cambrios 10%.
Nissha Printing and TPK will develop silver nanowire ink conductive film that is highly flexible. Compared with the current mainstream material, indium tin oxide (ITO), the new film’s electrical resistance will be low, enabling high resolution to be maintained even on large screens. And, unlike ITO, it does not require rare metals, making it cheaper to produce.
The film will likely be used in spherical touch panels and automotive instrument panels, which have curvy surfaces. When combined with OEL display technology, a rollable tablet computer can be commercialized.
TPK is strong in touch panels for smartphones, while Nissha Printing has an advantage in tablet panels. Both companies supply Apple Inc. and other major device manufacturers.
The two will combine their expertise to speed up development, and plan to begin mass-producing the film next spring. Details, such as the production site and scale, have yet to be set.
Enjoy our free content ?
Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal