Panasonic power-assist robot suit.
Panasonic Corp. subsidiary Activelink Co. has reduced the weight of its power-assist robot suit by 30%, with plans to begin volume sales of the device in 2017.
The suit helps the wearer lift heavy objects and carry out other tasks requiring strength. Activelink envisions the device being used in a wide range of settings, including factories, farms and disaster sites.
The recently developed prototype weighs around 30kg and is easy to use. In order to scale back the number of components in it, the company created a design that covers the back and shoulders. By operating a handheld part linked by wires to the part on the shoulders, users can easily lift items weighing 30kg. The motor has been made lighter by reducing the number of parts, which will also help lower production costs.
Launched in 2003 as an in-house start-up at Panasonic, Activelink has developed a number of power-assist devices. In March, Mitsui & Co. took a 20% stake in the company. Activelink is hurrying to commercialize power-assist devices with an eye on the growing elderly population.
Enjoy our free content ?
Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal