Japan’s Kirin taps AI for beer making
Kirin Brewery will employ artificial intelligence to perform beer-making functions usually entrusted to human professionals in a scheme to shorten product development and speed training.
The Kirin Holdings unit is pairing with the Mitsubishi Research Institute to install AI brew test programs as early as this year. The applications will determine the desired flavor, aroma, color and alcohol content, then produce the corresponding recipe.
The machine-learning program will discover optimum brewing formulas based on 20 years’ worth of test data. It takes a professional brewer a decade or more to hone such skills.
Not only is the industrial landscape changing fast, Kirin also faces an increasingly fragmentary beer market in terms of preferences. The Japanese company seeks to maintain its competitive edge by developing new offerings in an efficient manner.
The use of AI in beer production will also streamline the transfer of expertise to new hires. “AI could discover more efficient methods,” said a Kirin representative.
Meanwhile, Ajinomoto is also planning to leverage AI to completely automate the process of fermenting amino acids. The Tokyo-based food producer will quantify the conditions that lend to productive fermentation by fiscal 2019. Ajinomoto will create a data-sharing system that will boost cost competitiveness internationally.
Enjoy our free content ?
Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal