External airbags for protection in cars, coming next.
A concept car equipped with external airbags to protect against fender benders is raising eyebrows at the Tokyo Motor Show.
The body panels of the Flesby II ultra-compact vehicle are covered by a soft, next-generation rubber that can absorb the impact of a collision.
“We put airbags, which are mainly employed inside the car, on its exterior, such as its hood or fender, to protect the entire body,” Takashi Ishikawa, managing officer of Toyoda Gosei Co, said.
Toyoda Gosei, a manufacturer of rubber and plastic automotive parts and LEDs, came up with the idea for the concept car in 2013.
The company said on its website the rubber is able to move with electric power and change the shape of the car body.
LED lights projected onto the rubber also allow the driver to communicate with pedestrians and other vehicles, the company said.
“In the event of contact with a pedestrian, the soft body serves a safety function in absorbing the impact,” the company said.
Enjoy our free content ?
Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news
- First to know about new trends and news
- No ads and no sales pitch
- A special pin a month, posted by us, highlighting your own business
- Our iOS app for free
- Weekly social media promotions of your own pins
- Customization on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal
And Nothing To Lose
The best way to get the most out of Grendz.