Apple’s supplier is expecting to add facial recognition to its smart speakers in the future.
Apple HomePod maker Inventec Appliances said that it expects future voice assistant products to offer 3-D sensing features, including facial and image recognition.
“We see trends that engineers are designing smart speakers that will not only come with voice recognition but also incorporate features such as facial and image recognition,” President David Ho told reporters after the company’s earnings conference. “Such AI-related features are set to make people’s lives more convenient and to make the product easier to use.” He added, however, that he was unsure at the moment whether smart speakers with more AI features in the future would become a hit in the market.
Ho did not specify which product he was talking about, but analysts said he is likely referring to the next generation of Apple’s HomePod, the $349 voice-activated speaker that will compete with Amazon Echo and Google Home.
Inventec Appliances, a subsidiary of Taiwanese electronic contract manufacturer Inventec, currently monopolizes orders for the HomePod as well as AirPods, Apple’s wireless earbuds, according to analysts. It also makes smartphones for China-based Xiaomi, wearable products for America’s Fitbit and smart speakers for U.S.-based Sonos and others.
Jeff Pu, an analyst at Yuanta Investment Consulting, said Apple could roll out HomePods with 3D-sensing cameras in 2019.
Apple’s recently released iPhone X is its first product to come with a 3D-sensing facial recognition feature that allows users to unlock phones and make payments, as well as so-called animojis, or emojis that mirror users’ own facial expressions through the front camera.
Meanwhile, Ho confirms that his company will ship a “new voice-enabled smart speaker” by the end of the year to meet the holiday season demand. He added that his company makes smart speakers for more than one client and some of them already shipped in mid-2017.
Apple said earlier this year that HomePod will be available in December, initially in Australia, the U.S. and the U.K. Inventec Appliances will only ship about 50,000 units of the device by the end of this year, said Arthur Liao, an analyst at Taipei-based Fubon Securities.
“According to supply-chain checking, Apple is set to make 4 million units of HomePod in 2018, but we are currently a bit conservative about whether the demand would be that good,” said Liao.
For 2018, company officials said Inventec Appliances’ total shipments of smart and connected devices would likely grow single digits from this year’s estimated level of around 70 million units. They did not break down shipments among smartphones, Apple products and others, but said demand for audio wearable gadgets will continue to swell.
Fubon’s Liao said shipments of AirPods would total around 20 million units this year and could increase to around 30 million units in 2018.
China-based Luxshare Precision Industry is working hard to procure orders to make AirPods for Apple in 2018, while Inventec will also need to split orders with major iPhone assembler Hon Hai Precision Industry for manufacturing the HomePod next year, according to industry sources.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal