New Toyota’s robot avatar could go where humans can’t
Toyota Motor has developed a humanoid robot that mimics its controller’s movements at a distance, a technology with potential applications ranging from nursing care to space travel.
The T-HR3 robot unveiled Tuesday is controlled by an operator seated in what the automaker calls the Master Maneuvering System. Equipment worn on the arms, legs and hands reads the user’s movements and maps them to the robot.
A head-mounted display lets the operator see through the robot’s camera, allowing for interaction with its environment — picking up objects, for example. Sensor-equipped joint modules let the user feel outside force applied to the robot.
Though the current version of the robot must be connected to the control system by cable, Toyota plans to develop a wireless link. The company envisions the robot performing work in such dangerous locations as disaster areas or outer space, as well as providing assistance in the home or medical facilities.
The automaker will showcase the T-HR3 at the four-day International Robot Exhibition here starting Nov. 29.
This is hardly Toyota’s first foray into robotics. In April, the company started rentals of a system designed to help patients suffering from leg paralysis learn to walk again.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal