Redmi 5 phones have 18:9 displays and start at $120
Xiaomi showed off the first pictures of its new Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus earlier this week, and now the smartphones have been revealed in full. Redmi is Xiaomi’s brand that attempts to deliver solid products at extremely low prices; the new devices follow the Redmi 4 and Redmi Note 4, which became the two most popular phones in India this year.
As was apparent from the pictures, the Redmi 5 and 5 Plus bring a very 2017-style 18:9 design to the Redmi line, with rounded corners and thin bezels on the top and bottom of the screen. Around the back there’s a fingerprint sensor and a single camera, and the phone’s body is made from aluminium. It comes in blue, pink, gold, and black.
Here are the rest of the specs:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor for Redmi 5, Snapdragon 625 for Redmi 5 Plus
5.7-inch 18:9 “HD+” LCD for Redmi 5, 5.99-inch 18:9 “Full HD+” for Redmi 5 Plus
2 or 3GB of RAM for Redmi 5, 3 or 4GB for Redmi 5 Plus
3300mAh battery for Redmi 5, 4000mAh for Redmi 5 Plus
16 or 32GB of storage for Redmi 5, 32GB or 64GB for Redmi 5 Plus
Unspecified camera sensor with 1.25-micron pixels
Micro USB charging
The Redmi 5 starts at 799 yuan (about $120) for the 2GB RAM and 16GB storage model, with 899 yuan (~$135) getting you 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. The 5 Plus starts at 999 yuan (~$150) for the 3GB/32GB model, with a 4GB/64GB variant selling for 1299 yuan (~$180).
These are definitely inexpensive phones by global standards, then, with the 5 Plus sounding like particularly good value. The Snapdragon 625 is a solid processor with great power efficiency, especially when paired with such a large battery, and an 18:9 full-HD display is impressive at this price point.
The phones have only been announced for China so far and will be available on December 12th.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal