Tokyo airport to be ‘scattered’ with robots for 2020 Olympics
Visitors to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics can expect to arrive at an airport “scattered” with robots to help them, an official said Tuesday as he unveiled seven new machines to perform tasks from helping with luggage to language assistance.
Among the seven robots on show at Haneda airport was a fluffy cat mascot that can carry out simultaneous interpretation in four different languages.
Visitors speak into a furry microphone, and translations appear instantly on a smart screen.
Travellers may also be approached by a small white humanoid robot, Cinnamon, asking if they need its help.
The sleek white robot can converse with visitors through its AI system and give directions.
Another robot on display can carry luggage through the airport alongside the traveller.
Yutaka Kuratomi, a representative from the Japan Airport Terminal, hopes that by 2020, the terminals will be “scattered with robots”, and it will be “normal” to see visitors communicating with machines.
They are also aimed especially at foreign visitors, who already have high expectations that Japan will show off its world-beating technology in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics.
“We want foreign tourists to think that the Japanese people are cool when they come here,” Kuratomi told AFP.
The launch of the robots also comes as Japan grapples with a labor shortage against the backdrop of an aging population.
With Tokyo hosting the 2020 Olympics, Haneda airport is bracing for a sharp increase in visitors from abroad and hopes robots can compensate for a lack of staff.
The robots will be on a trial for a month at Haneda from January 9.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news
- First to know about new trends and news
- No ads and no sales pitch
- A special pin a month, posted by us, highlighting your own business
- Our iOS app for free
- Weekly social media promotions of your own pins
- Customization on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal
And Nothing To Lose
The best way to get the most out of Grendz.