Tokyo airport to be ‘scattered’ with robots for 2020 Olympics
Visitors to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics can expect to arrive at an airport “scattered” with robots to help them, an official said Tuesday as he unveiled seven new machines to perform tasks from helping with luggage to language assistance.
Among the seven robots on show at Haneda airport was a fluffy cat mascot that can carry out simultaneous interpretation in four different languages.
Visitors speak into a furry microphone, and translations appear instantly on a smart screen.
Travellers may also be approached by a small white humanoid robot, Cinnamon, asking if they need its help.
The sleek white robot can converse with visitors through its AI system and give directions.
Another robot on display can carry luggage through the airport alongside the traveller.
Yutaka Kuratomi, a representative from the Japan Airport Terminal, hopes that by 2020, the terminals will be “scattered with robots”, and it will be “normal” to see visitors communicating with machines.
They are also aimed especially at foreign visitors, who already have high expectations that Japan will show off its world-beating technology in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics.
“We want foreign tourists to think that the Japanese people are cool when they come here,” Kuratomi told AFP.
The launch of the robots also comes as Japan grapples with a labor shortage against the backdrop of an aging population.
With Tokyo hosting the 2020 Olympics, Haneda airport is bracing for a sharp increase in visitors from abroad and hopes robots can compensate for a lack of staff.
The robots will be on a trial for a month at Haneda from January 9.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal