EU unveils supercomputer plan to rival China
The EU unveiled plans Thursday to raise one billion euros to build superfast computers that catch up with China and others to boost Europe’s economy, make medical advances and fight hacking.
China overtook the United States in numbers and performance for supercomputers in a ranking last November, followed by non-EU Switzerland and Japan in third and fourth place.
“It is a tough race and today the EU is lagging behind: we do not have any supercomputers in the world’s top ten,” said Andrus Ansip, the European Commisssion vice president for the digital single market.
The European Commission, the EU executive, said it would contribute around 486 million euros ($580 million) for a “High Performance Computing (EuroHPC) infrastructure”, that would then be matched by EU nations.
“We want to give European researchers and companies world-leading supercomputer capacity by 2020,” Ansip said in a statement.
Brussels says it will help develop artificial intelligence and applications to improve health, security and engineering, plus help forecast hurricane routes and simulate earthquakes.
European scientists and industry risk yielding secrets or sensitive information as they increasingly process data outside the EU to perform tasks in the absence of the best supercomputers, the commission said.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal