Robot barista to serve coffee at travel agency cafe in Tokyo
Travel agency H.I.S. will a robot will serve drip coffee to customers at a cafe it plans to open next month at its flagship branch in central Tokyo.
The agency will open its Henn Na Cafe or “strange cafe” featuring a robotic arm and an automated coffee maker inside its store in Tokyo’s Shibuya district.
The move will add to the company’s series of services using robots, including at the Henn Na Hotel or “strange hotel” in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture where a woman-shaped robot and a dinosaur robot welcome customers at the front desk.
At the Shibuya cafe, customers will be welcomed by the U.S.-made robotic, with an attached screen showing expressions of a person’s face and speaking in Japanese, “Hello. Would you like delicious coffee?”
Customers first need to buy a ticket at a vending machine to order a drink they can choose from a menu of seven items. The robot will then scan the QR code of the ticket to serve them.
It grabs a paper cup and moves it toward the coffee machine before pouring grinded coffee beans into the machine and pressing a button to make the drink. When it is ready, the robot places it at a reception counter.
It takes three to four minutes for the robot to serve one cup of coffee, priced at 320 yen. The robot can also discard coffee beans and clean filters by itself.
“Using artificial intelligence, we want to make it learn smooth movements,” an H.I.S. official said.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal