Battery-replaceable electric scooters powered by solar electricity in Okinawa
Sumitomo Corp will lend battery-replaceable electric scooters manufactured by Taiwan-based Gogoro for the 16th Ishigaki Island Marathon, which will take place Jan 28 in Ishigaki-jima, Okinawa Prefecture.
Sumitomo has already announced that it will use the battery-replaceable electric scooter to develop infrastructures and provide services, starting from a verification project in the island. For the verification project, the company partnered with Ishigaki City.
In Ishigaki-jima, Sumitomo will launch a sharing service using the scooter within fiscal 2017. This will be the first sharing service using battery-replaceable electric scooters in Japan, according to the company.
For the service, Sumitomo is currently installing charging stands at four locations in Ishigaki-jima. At two of the four locations, a solar power generation system will also be set up for charging rechargeable batteries during daylight hours.
When fully charged, the scooter can continuously travel about 100 km. In consideration of this, each charging stand will be 20 km away from the nearest stand on average. The government of Ishigaki City will install two of the four charging stands by using the “Subsidy for Projects to Promote the Revitalization of Isolated Islands in Okinawa” of the Cabinet Office.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal