AI will fill out your blank spots in photos.
A new technology uses artificial intelligence to generate synthetic images that can pass as real.
The technology was developed by a team led by Hiroshi Ishikawa, a professor at Japan’s Waseda University. It uses convolutional neural networks, a type of deep learning, to predict missing parts of images. The technology could be used in photo-editing apps. It can also be used to generate 3-D images from real 2-D images.
The team at first prepared some 8 million images of real landscapes, human faces and other subjects. Using special software, the team generated numerous versions for each image, randomly adding artificial blanks of various shapes, sizes and positions. With all the data, the model took three months to learn how to predict the blanks so that it could fill them in and make the resultant images look identical to the originals.
The model’s learning algorithm first predicts and fills in blanks. It then evaluates how consistent the added part is with its surroundings.
Consistency is examined around the edges of the real and fake parts. The model then judges whether the entire picture looks natural and real. Ishikawa says the real innovation lays in the technology’s ability.
After repeating the cycle of prediction and evaluation, the learning model becomes capable of artificially building up an entire image by using only predicted parts. This allows it to take a real 2-D image and make it 3-D.
The team expects its model to be used in photo-editing apps. The system is also capable of slightly modifying images, like those of children’s facial features. The team thinks this will allow parents to lightly doctor pictures of their kids, then post the images on social media platforms with little worry of putting their identities at risk.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal