Affordable glasses that help blind people understand text now receiving crowdfunding support
Japanese society provides tremendous support for blind people, not only by providing those yellow bumpy ground indicators found on sidewalks and train stations, but with neat campaigns too like allowing visually impaired children to choose their favorite Tokyo Olympics mascot.
Taking a further step toward improving the lives of those unable to see or read properly, company Oton Glass has appealed to the public to help crowdfund a tool that would ease their burden: glasses that convert words into voice.
Rather than relying on excessive technology like other similar products on the market, Oton Glass features a spectacle frame outfitted with two tiny cameras and a earphone.
Simply clicking a button on the device captures text as information, sends it to a dedicated cloud system, then converts it into voice emitted via earpiece. Should the system be unable to read the words, the information can be sent to a remote supporter for deciphering.
Oton Glass continues to operate hands-free once activated, allowing blind people to read without hindrance.
The handy device lets people skip the tedious process of using smartphone voiceover accessibility apps.
Its simplistic design also translates to lowered production costs, and crowdfunders can get a pair for as little as 5,000 yen, an incredibly affordable investment considering other electronic glasses cost up to five-digit figures.
Even if the project doesn’t reach its crowdfunding goal of 10 million yen, all proceeds will be channeled into future development of Oton Glass.
Given its rapid progression, expect new models and improved features to be incorporated over the next few years.
It’s heartwarming to know that companies like these seek to help the visually impaired, but such noble acts are not just limited to large organizations or associations. Even ordinary Japanese citizens try their best to improve the lives of disabled people.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal