Japan’s university startups top 2,000 for first time
The number of startups created to commercialize results of research and development at Japanese universities rose 13% in fiscal 2017 to surpass 2,000 for the first time, a survey by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry shows.
The total for the year ending this month reached 2,093. Though information technology businesses make up about half of Japan’s overall startup scene, the biggest category of university ventures consists of biotech, health care and medical equipment at 659, followed by IT at 614.
The University of Tokyo spawned the highest number at 245, followed by Kyoto University at 140 and the University of Tsukuba at 98. Nagoya University jumped to seventh place from 12th in the fiscal 2016 survey, raising its number of startups to 69.
University-affiliated ventures that have gone on to become Tokyo-listed companies include biotech names Peptidream and Euglena — the former provides a drug discovery database while the latter develops food and fuel from algae — as well as machine learning software developer PKSHA Technology. All three grew out of the University of Tokyo.
Kyoto University is known for its stem cell research center headed by Nobel laureate Shinya Yamanaka. Megakaryon, a Kyoto-based startup, is drawing on research from one of the university’s teams of scientists as it develops a way to mass-produce platelets — essential for blood clotting — from reprogrammed cells.
Despite the healthy growth, Japan still trails other countries including the U.S. in university startups. The ministry will unveil a public database of such ventures Friday, looking to encourage more cooperation between industry and academia.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal