Big data boosts Starbucks Korea’s sales
Starbucks Coffee Korea has received 100,000 more mobile orders on average monthly, since it added a big data-based recommendation service to its Siren Order application last November, the local unit of the U.S. coffeehouse said Sunday.
Siren Order, an online-to-offline (O2O) app service which was launched in Korea in May 2014, enables customers to order and pay for food and coffee with their smartphones.
According to the company, the upgraded app analyzes each individual customer’s recent purchases, information about stores that they visited and temperatures, so as to recommend preferable drinks and foods to them.
If customers run their Siren Order app, the app shows suggestions of food and drinks to buy such as “What you recently purchased,” “Starbucks beverages that wake you up,” and “How about a warm drink on cold days,” depending on time and the weather.
The app also offers preferable combinations of food and beverages to customers. When Starbucks releases new products, the app can recommend the best combinations to each individual within a few days.
In particular, 37 percent of mobile orders have been made via the recommendation service, the company said. Starbucks Coffee Korea expects more customers will use the service when they make their orders.
“The individualized recommendation service has its significance, given that it collects and analyzes big data to offer the most preferable products to our customers,” Starbucks Coffee Korea’s marketing and digital director Baek Ji-woong said. “The use of big data is at an early stage. We will continue to come up with improved individualized services, by using more diverse big data.”
This is not the first time that Starbucks Coffee Korea has adopted big data technology.
The company has collected feedback from its customers to develop new beverages and foods. The specialized beverages and food exclusively available on Jeju Island could be made available to the wider public through the big data analysis.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal