Honda to apply cryptographic technologies to cars in 2019
Honda Motor Co Ltd says that it will apply cryptographic technologies to its vehicles to be mass-produced in 2019 and later with the aim of preventing the vehicles from being hacked.
Toyota Motor Corp will also start to apply cryptographic technologies to mass-produced cars in the same year. In view of the spread of “connected cars,” the two companies will develop measures against hacking, involving the entire auto industry in Japan.
Honda will introduce its “Key Management Center,” which safely creates a cryptographic key to be used for communications among components such as a steering, brake, etc and transmits it to the factories of parts manufacturers. Its basic function seems to be the same as the technology to be used by Toyota. Honda started the development of the Key Management Center at the end of 2017 (about a year behind Toyota), aiming to complete it within 2018.
The cryptographic key will be applied to ECUs (electronic control units) that control a steering, brakes, etc. As in the case of Toyota, a message authentication technology that is based on the “AES” block cipher and uses a common key cryptosystem method (CMAC) will be used for exchanging data among ECUs.
The cryptographic key means a common key and can be embedded only in the authorized ECU, enabling to distinguish messages sent by people who do not have the common key. As a result, it becomes difficult for outsiders to send fake massages to the automotive LAN and remotely control the brakes and steering.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- Technology Procurement Grendz Researchers can search for specific technologies or innovations that matches your company business and give you contacts and information that will help you to aquire or implement those technologies (Limit to 3 procurement requests per month)
- Team Members Company access to up to 3 members included in the company legend package.
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal