1.6MW ‘Self-consumption-type’ Mega Solar Plant Combined With Wind Farm
DIC Corp is a well-established chemical manufacturer that started business by producing and selling printing ink in 1908. The company changed its name from Dainippon Ink and Chemicals Inc to DIC Corp in 2008 as it broadened its business area and facilitated global development based on its organic paint and synthetic resin technologies.
Reducing CO2 emissions while growing
Among its plants at nine locations in Japan, organic paint and other products are manufactured at Kashima Plant in Kamisu City, Ibaraki Prefecture.
On January 26, 2018, a mega- (large-scale) solar power plant with an output of 1.6MW was completed at Kashima Plant. This plant is unique in that all the generated power is consumed within the plant without using the feed-in tariff (FIT) scheme. Among the mega-solar plants that consume all generated power by themselves, this is the largest class in Japan.
DIC built this plant for self-consumption of generated power with the aim of positioning it as part of the DIC Group’s activities to stop global warming as an environmental value. The DIC Group advocates the goal to “cut the absolute amount of greenhouse gas emissions by 1% every year and achieve a 7% reduction by 2020 compared with the amount in 2013.”
In light of this goal, the group has undertaken various activities through a group-wide energy-saving working group and a committee to promote energy conservation at each operation, even attempting to improve the production process.
“We engage in nearly 500 energy conservation projects per year (just at the group’s bases in Japan),” said Yuichi Kogo, general manager, Production Management Dept.
The group focuses so much on cutting its energy consumption because it needs to reduce it almost 2% every year, considering its greenhouse gas emissions would increase 9% from 2013 to 2020 due to business expansion and other factors if no measures were taken against this problem.
Enjoy our free content ? Try our Legend services.
- Star Level
- Access to Grendz and the right to READ and SHARE our science techie green pins
- The right to WRITE and SHARE your OWN science techie green pins
- WEEKLY mind-blowing e-report with trends and news, never miss what is grendzing.
- Customization Capability on which trends categories you want us to follow closer.
- P2P Advice From our team and members
- Our iOS or Android app for free
- First to know about new trends and news
- Weekly social media promotions (through Grendz social media presence) of your own pins (tech, science, green related) that may include: Your own service, products, PR or/and business related
- No ads and no sales pitch
- 24h Support (via e-mail)
- Cancel anytime your renewal